The GE-Emerson Series 90-30 IC693BEM331 Genius Bus Controller (GBC) provides the interface between a Series 90-30 PLC and a Genius I/O serial bus. The GBC receives and transmits control data of up to 128 bytes for up to 31 devices on the Genius I/O bus. A Genius Bus Controller can serve:
- Genius blocks, which provide an interface to a wide range of discrete, analog, and special-purpose field devices.
- Remote Drops, which consist of Series 90-70 I/O racks interfaced to the bus through Remote I/O Scanner modules. Each of these drops can have any mix of Series 90-70 discrete and analog I/O modules, providing up to 128 bytes of input data and 128 bytes of output data.
- Field Control I/O Station, which consists of a Bus Interface Unit (BIU) and up to eight additional Field Control modules. The BIU provides intelligent processing, I/O scanning, and feature configuration for the I/O station.
- Genius Hand-Held Monitor (HHM), which is a portable device that can also be permanently mounted. The HHM provides a convenient operator interface for block setup, data monitoring, and diagnostics.
- Multiple hosts, for communications using datagrams and Global Data.